Tuesday, October 02, 2007

To Whoever Took my Work and put it on Wikipedia....

I was browsing Wikepedia and stumbled on my own article and write up about Coffin Plates. It came directly from my website in my Coffin Plates section.

Wow. Deju vu!

It was a direct copy and paste from my site with NO credit to me as the author, despite the copyright notice front and center.

Yeah, those are my words on Wikipedia. My research into the topic. My hard work.

I wouldn't care if whoever lifted it from my site and submitted it to Wikipedia had done the right thing and credited me and my site for it. Of course it'd be better if this person of questionable ethics had written to ask my permission.

So whoever you are, would you copy Steven King's latest novel and put it online? (not that I'm saying I'm in his league!) Sure you would! Your morals are questionable. Apparently you don't know right from wrong. But most of us would not do such a thing.

Internet publishing is no different than real-world publishing.

So - if someone ELSE did the work, the research and the writing, don't take credit for it (that's called plagarism) and don't take it without permission and publish it somewhere else (that's called copyright infringement)

1 comment:

Jonathan Bailey said...

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened. Have you gotten the work removed though?

You can either edit the page directly since it is a Wiki or file a DMCA notice with Wikipedia if you prefer. It should be trivial to get the work taken down if you haven't.

Hope that helps!