Thursday, May 01, 2014

52 Ancestors: Oscar Massey Accused of Stealing Rifles in 1919

March 1919. Pueblo Chieftan
My cousin 3 times removed was Oscar Massey. He was born in Colorado in 1893. While researching him (because I research all siblings of my direct ancestors) I found some interesting news articles about him being arrested in 1919.

It seems that in March 1919 Oscar and a buddy Grover Roberts were arrested and charged with stealing rifles and pistols from the Sante Fe Railway. Oscar got off eventually but I've never been sure he didn't do it. I think it might have been a case of having friends on the jury and being well-known and liked in the town.

In any case here's his story in newspaper clippings:

 Accused Burglars Attend Courts of Numerous Degrees Prisoners, Charged with Robbing Box Cars Arraigned before Justices (News Article)
Date: 1919-04-05; Paper: Pueblo Chieftain, published as: The Pueblo Chieftain
Jury is Picked to Try Oscar Massey (News Article)
Date: 1919-05-24; Paper: Pueblo Chieftain, published as: The Pueblo Chieftain
Massey Freed of Burglary Charge (News Article)
Date: 1919-05-25; Paper: Pueblo Chieftain, published as: The Pueblo Chieftain

No comments: