Monday, November 15, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday, Metal Tombstones



Tombstone Tuesday. Well I was out taking some cemetery photos and this one caught my eye. At first glance one would not think that their is much different about this grave marker. From a distance it looks quite normal. But in fact the entire grave stone is metal. Metal grave markers of this type are rare in my area. And they are getting rarer all the time as they really don't stand up to the weather as well as granite and they are much more susceptible to damage by vandals. You can see cracks starting to form in this one and I would guess its days are numbered.


Geo Catlin
Died
Feby 16 1880
Aged 80 Years
At Rest

2 comments:

Jo said...

I haven't seen any metal headstones here (in Scotland) but I do notice the deterioration in sandstone monuments over the last 10 years or so. At least you can upload the photos so at findagrave so a copy is available for when the worst happens. Jo

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I just found a few cast iron gravemarkers here in New Hampshire. I can't think of a worse climate for these, with all the freezing and thawing! Even marble ones are fading fast, and the slate ones are splitting and cracking. The best ones are the granite markers. We are the "Granite State" after all.